Friday, December 26, 2008

The Glow of Christmas

The only time of the year that I can capture the "Glow of Christmas" is December 24th.  Its a period of time lasting a good 36 to 48 hours.  It has this angelic quality like no other experience all year.

It comes (for me) after hours of shopping, wrapping and great anticipation of Christmas Day.  This special experience comes through, after the chaos, the rushing around, and the fretting over details.  Going over a list that has been a work in progress for months.  A work that is actually a joy, most precious to me, all year.  

The glow brightens as one by one family treads off to bed, the house is left quiet and I take a little time to myself to reflect.  I watch a choir program of Christmas music, and a little of the Nutcracker production.  I look at the tree and appreciate all the past Christmas' it represents to me.  I feel my heart swell as I acknowledge the love the Lord has for me, and for all mankind, as he sent to this world his precious son.

This would be one of my favorite things about Christmas, if anyone was to ask.  The warmth of this night, which is in reality the early morning hours of Christmas  Day, I think of as a glow.  To give it a word, it would be love.  Love from God, our Heavenly Father, and love from his Son, Jesus Christ.  And love of my family, near and far, on this Holy Night.   

2 comments:

Elicia said...

very nice! i love christmas too, more than i realized! and thanks for the present you sent everyone! i want to make pumpkin cheesecake now! wow! my word verification is blessead! too bad the a is in there!

Barb said...

I sure love you mom - Christmas is/was the best! So glad we got to spend it at your house!!