Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January Traditions


Troy started our own January Tradition. When he was little, about three, bored with winter, he would say, "Lets move furniture"! And we did. The sun coming into the windows on a January morning, insisted on moved furniture. Troy was delighted, the possibilities translated into an adventure for him. Anything that makes a little boy happy on a cold January day makes a Mom happy too. We had fun.

The moving of furniture slowed down a bit in 1978, because changes in the room didn't tickle my husband in quite the same way. But even now, I can hardly get into the middle of January without an attack of "I want to move furniture". The room is clean and fresh and new after the job is done. I would even paint walls, if I could get away with it. I am so excited that in Carrie's house, I will be able to be more creative. No telling what new January Traditions I can come up with at her house.

Jim has visions of his own. One he described is pretty fanciful. But not for children I would caution. He told Carrie he would like to paint a mural on her bathroom wall downstairs, of women dressing, probably life size, probably old world style. Probably Paris. Probably middle aged. Probably not too naughty.

I think we will, instead, plan a garden this winter, and work outside this Spring.

The January Thaw reminds me of my Grandpa Michaelson. I don't know why, other than he had this great way of appreciating the weather and beautiful days. And even the stormy days to him were wonderful weather days. He had a gift. He found joy all around him.

Well, I have gotten off the subject. I think I will close this post and go move something.

What could be your January Traditions? Do you have any now?

4 comments:

D'N'J said...

I think our furniture needs moving, too. unfortunately i'm not sure they'll fit any other way!

Elicia said...

i know! i want to move around my furniture in my room, but it is so much more spacious the way it is now that i don't want to move it!

Barb said...

Ry's birthday...that's tradition. =)

Troy said...

I'm too tired to move any furniture.